Tuesday 21 August 2007

Quick Tip - The Manager as a role model

The ethic of reciprocity "Treat others as you would like to be treated" is an understated gem when it comes to management. To put it into the management context "The way you act as a leader (Manager) will dictate the way your team acts". If you don't run your meetings to an Agenda, nor will your team? If you don't set a consistent example of how to approach problems or scenario's within your group nor will your team.

I've experienced this first hand on a couple of occasions, and have suffered the consequence. On one occasion, shortly before a two week absence I was visibly frustrated with the organisation I work within. By the time I returned from my sojourn, feeling chipper about the situation I had to go into damage control and remediate morale in the team.

With that in mind, if there are behaviours occurring in your team that you don't like. Have a quick look at yourself, you may in-fact be role modeling these behaviours.

Cheers

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment