Sunday 21 February 2010

Past Posts of Note from 5Whys

Keeping in line with the goal of a weekly post, I thought I'd take a direct approach this week. As suggested by Darren Rowse in his 31 Days to build a better blog (or was it one of his recent posts that gave me this idea), I am going to bring forward a number of key posts I have done over the last couple of years that may be of interest to you.

So here are 10 of the best in order of oldest to Newest:

1. Create and Communicate Direction - One of the handiest techniques I have come across. People who have worked with me in the past get sick of me asking 'Have you run this through CCD'

2. The Process Approach - This is an exceptionally useful tool when looking at improving or introducing new process. It keeps things nice and simple. Going analog on this can cause weeks if not months of continuous improvement

3. InBox Zero - This is more links to a really handy Site. Merlin Mann of 43 Folders provides great insights on sorting out your inbox. Something very handy when you are receiving 100+ e-mails a day. (Note - this fellow inspired number 5 on this list)

4. 5 Questions in 30 Minutes - Running a large team, or inherited one. How do you get to know your people as well as get some really valuable insights on what needs to be done. 5 Questions in 30 minutes was an approach I used to achieve just this.

5. e-mail Insanity!! - Unbelievably I still see this on a regular basis. In fact I'm probably suffering it a little myself due to the recent acquisition of an iPhone. This is something you should seriously consider.

6. The First Strategic Principle - One of the best!! Awfully simple to understand and draw with massive impact to any organisation design or strategic conversation you may be having. Feedback on this principle continues to be quite positive.

7. The GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY - Great approach to getting some feedback. I've even tested it's scalability by running it as a feedback mechanism for a group of 100 people.

8. To Many Meetings! - Add this to the InBox Zero and e-mail insanity perspectives above and maybe you can start to claw back some thinking time.

9. Elephant Spotting - An innovative way of seeking feedback from a large group of employees.

10. Philosophy of play at work - A newbie but a goodie. Real stories of introducing play at work.

Hope you find this recap on past posts handy.

Cheers

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment